Don’t Be The 70%

avoid-spamming

Email marketing can be a tricky thing. It is so easy to type what you want to say and press send, but when you are a marketer or a business person, it can be a little tougher than that. According to a recent article  from HubSpot, about 70% of marketing emails are considered spam and are marked as such when they are sent to the recipient. There are a few tricks that you can do to help keep your emails within the other 30%.

The title is the first thing the recipient sees when they receive the email. Many email subject lines inform the reader to “act now” or to propose a deal the reader “won’t be able to resist”. With so many of the same headings the average person will most likely mark the email as spam or simply delete it without even opening it. A good subject line should suggest and allure rather than tell the reader to do something.

Telling the recipient “do not reply” is not only going to make your email more unattractive. People want to be able to communicate with someone if they have a question or comment about the piece or product. A “do not reply” may stop any communication from occurring.

The design of your email will tell a lot about your company. If it looks like it was put together in five minutes, the reader may not take you or your product very seriously. Make sure you put thought into the piece and do your best to make it visually attractive!

If you want to personalize the email by inserting first or last names, make sure you do so! Nothing is more of a turn off than seeing a header that says “Dear [First Name]”. If you’re worried about forgetting to change a line, exclude the greeting entirely and use something else.

Make sure you not only are professional in emails, but you at least sound like you know what you are talking about. Confusing wording can lead to the same reaction as sloppy content. The reader may lose interest or simply not trust the source of the email. Using topical pictures and the appropriate picture files is also extremely important.

While every email is different and every reader has unique ideas about what should be included in an email, these guidelines will help put you on the right path.

As a recipient, what are the things that irk you in marketing emails?

Tell Us What You Think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s